Get over the end of summer by looking forward to fall’s travel savings. Travelzoo, a large compiler of travel and entertainment deals, offers the following money-saving tips and budget-stretching trips. Be sure to check the blackout dates, read the fine print, add in any taxes or fees and ask about cancellation fees and refunds. Then, enjoy falling into travel savings.
• Board a flight: Airfare drops 25% to 50% over summer’s high prices. Book by Sept. 29 and at least 21 days in advance of your flight to take advantage of Virgin America’s one-way US fares from as low as $49.
• Hit the beach: Shoulder season brings significant savings along with fewer crowds and still warm weather. Prices start at $69 a night for a one-bedroom oceanfront suite at Beach Cove Resort, Myrtle Beach, instead of the summertime rate of $129.
• Check out Orlando: With kids back in school and temperatures hovering in comfortable ranges, Orlando’s attractions become even more attractive. Bookit.com offers many discounted lodgings in Orlando, including stays at Bahama Bay Resort by Wyndham Vacation Rentals from $99 per night instead of $231.
• Say Aloha to Hawaii: Since the number of visitors to Hawaii drops from Labor Day through Christmas, so do airfares and hotel rates. If you purchase a United Airlines ticket by Sept. 30 for travel to Hawaii at least seven days in advance, one-way fares start as low as $183. Beware: the cheap airfares go quickly. Stay for two nights at Waimea Plantation Cottages, Kauai, from $299 for two people. Offer valid through Dec. 20.
• Cast off to the Caribbean: Shoulder season brings significant discounts in the Caribbean. Instead of paying $1,447 for a five-night package for two people at St. Lucia’s Blu Hotel, pay $315. The rate includes breakfast.
• Climb every mountain: Hike the peaks before ski season’s high prices. Save 50% at four-star Beaver Creek Resort, CO. Travel weekdays through Oct. 11 and weekdays Nov. 20 through Dec. 11 to get a king suite from $129 per night. Hurry! Rooms must be booked by Sept. 25.
• Hop the Pond: Save on packages to Europe. Save $290 on a six-night Ireland trip with airfare, lodging and car rental. From $859 through October on TripMasters.com.
• Cross over to Canada: Explore Canada’s countryside and cities for less. Save 60% on a romantic getaway at the AAA Four-Diamond The Old Mill Toronto. Instead of paying $376, book the room for $150.