Road trips make for great family vacations. WalletHub’s 2017 Best Road Trip Destinations for Summer crunches data to come up with the best and the worst states for road trips that lead you to diverse activities at reasonable prices. Colorado features the highest number of scenic byways, while Connecticut has the fewest. Find out where to go to enjoy the scenery, have the most choice of activities and stretch your budget.
If you haven’t yet planned your summer driving vacation, consider using WalletHub’s report as a guide. As always, temper the findings with common sense and your definition of a great summer road trip. Wyoming, a beautiful state with scenic byways, came in first for the lowest costs, but 22nd for activities and 41st for safety, giving the state a total rank of 16 out of the 50 states.
- Long Weekends: Quickly Recharge with Spring, Summer Travel
- Summer’s Best Vacation Destinations
- Waterparks: Make a Splash This Summer
1. Oregon scored 59.68 out of a possible score of 100. The state earned third place for activities, sixth place for safety but came in at 39 for costs.
2. Utah scored 58.35, ranking seventh for safety, 11th for activities and 17th for costs.
3. Washington state scored 57.89, ranking second in activities, no.8 in safety, but 41 in costs.
4. North Carolina scored 57.69, ranking ninth in activities, 24th in safety and 11th in costs.
5. Louisiana, scored 57.65, ranking sixth in activities, 36 in safety and 15 in cost.
WalletHub’s Worst 5 States for Road Trips
46. North Dakota scored 40.78, ranking 41st in activities, 35th in safety and 33rd in costs.
47. Pennsylvania scored 40.04, ranking 24th in activities, 39th in safety and 44th in costs.
48. Mississippi scored 39.68, ranking 48th in activities, 49th in safety, but came in at an affordable sixth place in costs.
49. Rhode Island scored 38.69, ranking 47th in activities, third in safety, and 49th in costs.
50. Connecticut scored 33.04, ranking the lowest in activities, 25th in safety and 48th in costs.
WalletHub’s States with the Lowest Camping Prices
WalletHub’s States with the Highest Price of Camping
50. Rhode Island
WalletHub’s State’s with the Most Scenic Byways
1. California and North Carolina
2. Oregon and Utah
WalletHub’s States with the Fewest Scenic Byways
46. Hawaii, Wisconsin and South Dakota
47. Connecticut and Delaware
Follow Candyce H. Stapen on Twitter: @FamilyiTrips