Like other noted travel magazines and sites that issue “best of” awards, Condé Nast Traveler’s chosen reflect the preferences and personalities of their readers and users. In other words, CNT’s anointed most often – but not always – require deep-pockets to enjoy. For your travel inspiration, here are the top-ranked US resorts, consisting of western ranches, beachfront properties, spas, and ski resorts.
1. The Lodge & Spa at Brush Creek Ranch – Saratoga, Wyoming
– Live the life of an indulged cowboy at this ranch. Along with horseback riding, enjoy good food and accommodations as well as spa treatments, fly fishing, and hiking.
2. L’Horizon Resort & Spa – Palm Springs, California
– The little touches add up. L’Horizon brings surprise treats from ice cream to tequila to guests’ rooms every afternoon and therapists deliver complimentary foot and shoulder massages to those lounging poolside.
3. Gateway Canyons Resort – Gateway, Colorado
– Savor red rock views, horseback riding, skeet shooting, and spa services at this property situated on 500 acres.
4. Sonnenalp – Vail, Colorado
– At the all-suite property overlooking Vail ski village, the staff dress in traditional Bavarian attire and the Swiss Chalet serves tasty fondue.
5. The Lodge on Little St. Simons Island – St. Simons Island, Georgia
– Nature lovers who want to get away from it all, but still have good meals and comfortable beds, book this lodge that accommodates just 32 guests.
6. The Lodge at Sea Island Golf Club – St. Simons Island, Georgia
– Personal butlers and bagpipers are just some of the traditions of this Lowcountry, upscale golf resort.
7. The Tides Inn – Irvington, Virginia
– Boaters love this Chesapeake Bay resort known for sailing and good seafood. Golf is nearby.
8. Tanque Verde Ranch – Tucson, Arizona
– This dude ranch offers riding for all levels and comfortable rooms with desert or mountain views.
9. C Lazy U Ranch – Granby, Colorado
– The ranch spreads out on 8,500 acres, guests get their own horse for the week, children have their own riding programs, and the saddle-sore can try white water rafting and fly fishing.
10. Sanderling Resort – Duck, North Carolina
– Sanderling fronts a dune-lined beach, offering rooms with balconies and good food at Kimball’s Kitchen.